Saturday, November 14, 2009

Is USURY the American Way?

I have gotten a schooling lately in accepting collect calls from inmates. I pay some 3 cents a minute for long distance. When I take an (automated) collect call from the Cumberland County jail (in Fayetteville), it cost me about $1 a minute. Wow, what a deal.

To get that call, you have to created a prepaid account with GlobalTel. If you use a credit card to create that account, you pay a 19% surcharge.

We put $50 in the account on Friday and it was gone after 4 calls from Fayetteville.

So, at minimum, we have the state of NC supporting usury.

Keep in mind that someone in a jail is still presumed innocent. They need to be able to mount a defense against the charges against them. Their calls are recorded. The state does this to their families. An American tradition to screw the poor? I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment